Sunday, February 22, 2015

The day my clock died!


My Little Chimp's punch on my nose woke me up from my sleep.



“Papa,  let’s play”, he gestured with his twinkling eyes.

Whoa!  I could spot an Oscar-winning actor within him at this tender age of 6 months. The way he communicated through his actions amazed me.

I sighed and embraced my son. I whispered into his ears, “Oh! Sonny,  it’s a working day. Papa has to report to work at sharp 9 AM, and Papa cannot afford to reach late”.

As he heard this, Ishaan's naughty-smiling cheeks plunged into a state of pensiveness.

“Aww! How could I reject his request”? I quipped myself, as I saw his gloomy face.
I checked for the time. The clock, with a tilted smile, pointed to 5:15AM.  I sighed in relief, as I had an hour to spare for my little bunny.  So, I kept my target time as 6:15AM to be ready and get dressed up for office.

First time ever in the history of my being, I mimicked.

I enacted as an elephant, a puppy, a kitten. I became a funny man only to see the giggling face of my little one.  Never ever, in my life I had donned such characters.



I made funny faces, which made my little one smile, giggle, and laugh. He laughed his lungs out. 



He laughed so  hysterically that I was bathed in his saliva.

I was very gentle with him and my touch ensured that he’s not hurt even whilst we played.

While I was indulged in the above playful acts, I glanced at the clock and realized with horror that the clock wasn’t ticking. 

The second needle, which is considered the heartbeat of the clock was still and stiff. The clock had died an unnatural death.  I checked my mobile to know the time and read as 6:40AM. I had only 45 minutes left to be ready for office.

I was already delayed by 15 minutes.

In the frenzy, I swirled my son on the bed.  I had too many tasks pending, right from emptying the bowels, brushing, shaving, shower, ironing etc.

I rushed to the washroom to perform the act of brushing and shower together. As I finished both the acts, I realized the fact that, I had picked her (my wife’s) brush and had used to clean up my teeth. (Oh Gosh! I couldn’t believe I did that).

Exert, exert and exit. 



Uff! this constipation, 2o minutes to empty the bowels. Gosh! Somehow I jumped out of the washroom, wore my office clothes and out I rushed through the exit gate to jump into an auto-rickshaw.

 I had to skip my breakfast.

The time was 7:30AM. I was already delayed by 15 minutes  than my usual time.

As I sat in the auto, I realized that I wore two different colored socks. One  black and the other one navy blue.  Thankfully, the length of my trousers were long enough to cover up the blunder.  I only wished that nobody would notice.

The auto brushed with the air and we flew. It was such a bumpy ride.  All of a sudden, the rick halted and in that jerk, my head hit the iron rod above and I saw countless stars moving in a circular motion just as the ‘halo’.

As I regained my posture, I peeped out to see what was happening. I saw a curly hairy arm, raised on our way as an obstacle and as a reason the auto had a sudden halt.

"What the heck?'  Within a fraction of the second, I realized that it was a traffic police, signaling us to halt.

“What was wrong with him?”  I quipped the auto driver. “Is he going to issue us a red slip for over-speeding”?  I questioned.

Naah! The traffic police informed us that a Minister was scheduled to pass through the road,  around 8.00 am and hence the roads were blocked. It was 8.20 AM and there was no sign of this minister.

I grew impatient and was tensed up a bit with the thought of delayed reporting to the office. Finally, the minister and his crew passed through around 8.30 AM and the roads were opened for the rest of the public.

Huffed and puffed, somehow I managed to reach the office at around 9:10am. There stood my lady boss at the entrance to welcome me with an evil grin and a frowned face. 

She looked grumpy.



Before she could open her mouth to question me, I squeezed myself through the entrance and with a diplomatic smile  made a sarcastic statement. 

“If only,  these ministers had the sense of time, this country would have touched newer heights”  and I quickly entered the office and got busy with my work.

I thanked the Omnipresent for my wittiness.


PS :  Image courtesy Google.

0 comments: